SYNOPSIS One of the legendary epics of the silent cinema - and the first part of a trilogy that Fritz Lang developed up to the very end of his career - Dr. Mabuse, der Spieler. [Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler.] is a masterpiece of conspiracy that, even as it precedes the mind - blowing Spione from the close of Lang's silent cycle, constructs its own dark labyrinth from the base materials of human fear and paranoia.
Rudolf Klein - Rogge plays Dr. Mabuse, the criminal … mehrmastermind whose nefarious machinations provide the cover for - or describe the result of - the economic upheaval and social bacchanalia at the heart of Weimar - era Berlin. Initiated with the arch - villain's diabolical manipulation of the stock - market, and passing through a series of dramatic events based around hypnotism, charlatanism, hallucinations, Chinese incantations, cold - blooded murder, opiate narcosis and cocaine anxiety, Lang's film maintains an unrelenting power all the way to the final act... which culminates in the terrifying question: " WHERE IS MABUSE?! "
A bridge between Feuillade's somnambulistic serial - films and modern media - narratives of elusive robber - barons, Lang's two - part classic set the template for the director's greatest works: social commentary as superpsychology, poised at the brink of combustion. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Lang's early masterpiece in its fully - restored version on Blu - ray in 1080p for the first time ever.
- - New, officially licensed transfer from restored HD materials
- - New and improved optional English subtitles with original intertitles
- - Exclusive feature - length audio commentary by film - scholar and Lang expert David Kalat
- - Three video pieces: an interview with the composer of the restoration score, a discussion of Norbert Jacques, creator of Dr. Mabuse, and an examination of the film s motifs in the context of German silent cinema
- - 32 - PAGE BOOKLET featuring vintage reprints of writing by Lang